Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Book Review Club--Top Picks for Mystery Lovers or Gardeners

Inspector Thomas Lynley is back!  That is good news for fans of Elizabeth George and her protagonist, the well-bred and very likable Scotland Yard detective.  On compassionate leave following a personal tragedy for the past five months (three books ago in real time), Lynley is asked to return to Scotland Yard to assist the new interim superintendent, Isabelle Ardery, in solving a puzzling murder.

The body of a young woman has been found brutally stabbed and abandoned in an old London cemetery.  Acting Superintendent Ardery, an ambitious detective with some hidden flaws, is eager to identify the victim and solve the murder as quickly as possible to prove to her superiors that she is the right person to head the department permanently.  The detectives under her command are somewhat wary of her, and in one case downright hostile, so Ardery asks Lynley to re-join the team for a few weeks to help smooth the transition and to solve the case.

The victim is soon identified, and as the team researches her background, they find no shortage of possible suspects.  Every suspect seems to have his own hidden secret, and the team must scatter throughout London  and beyond to a place called the New Forest to investigate each one.  Isabelle Ardery eventually focuses on one suspect and makes a tactical mistake, further alienating her team of detectives.  It is up to Lynley, of course, to help Ardery correct her mistakes and to discover the truth.

Elizabeth George is at the top of my list of favorite mystery writers and for good reason.  She is a master storyteller who weaves so many subplots together in This Body of Death that the reader is just as intrigued by the stories of the different characters as by the murder mystery itself.  Having read all of her novels, I was delighted when I found this newest in the series at Powell's Bookstore in Portland, Oregon.  Opening the book on the plane ride home was like re-joining family, and I was eager for news on how they, especially Lynley, were all faring.  

Powell's Books in downtown Portland, Oregon.  The largest independent new and used bookstore in the world, it covers four stories and a whole city block.  You need a map to find the mystery section!

If there is one criticism of the book I have, it is that there wasn't enough of Sgt. Barbara Havers, Lynley's usual "sidekick."  The honest and intelligent policewoman Havers is a fashion disaster and often appears at the scene of a crime wearing red high-topped trainers and a baggy t-shirt.  (Why am I always drawn to these less-than-perfect appearing heroines??)  Havers does play a crucial role in solving the murder in The Body of Evidence, but this time she primarily works on her own rather than in her usual role at the side of Lynley, an unlikely but very capable pairing.   This is a small disappointment, however, and I'm sure that Sgt. Havers will be back at Lynley's side in the next novel.

If you've never read any novels by Elizabeth George, I suggest you begin with the early ones so that you can become acquainted with all the "family," not just Lynley and Havers.  But it's not necessary to have read the earlier books to appreciate This Body of Death.  Just don't be daunted by the length--it will keep you turning pages more quickly than a book half its length and once finished, I think you'll be as anxious for the next book in the series as I am!


And for my gardening friends . . . 

Of all the armloads of gardening books I've checked out of the library this winter, the best of the lot has to be The Perennial Gardener's Design Primer by Stephanie Cohen and Nancy Ondra.  I was looking specifically for a book to help me design a new garden bed I am planting this spring, and I found a wealth of helpful information and suggestions in Cohen and Ondra's book.  The book covers everything from choosing plants appropriate for your site to color schemes to considering the size and shape of blooms and foliage. 

Accompanied by beautiful color photos, the book has a very appealing layout; my favorite part, strangely enough, has to be the appendix with its easy to follow plant index, including bloom times.  Rose at Ramble on Rose wrote an excellent  review of the book some time back, so if you would like to know more, I suggest you read her much more thorough review here.   This book is definitely a keeper--my copy is due back at the library soon, but I think I'll be heading to the bookstore to add this one to my personal library!


For more book reviews, check out this month's entries at Barrie Summy's.

Disclaimer: No compensation of any kind was received for either of these book reviews.  I review only books I have enjoyed reading, and either purchase my own copy or borrow it from the local library.

22 comments:

  1. I love this series and have let several get past me. Will look for it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, but I haven't read any of those mysteries. Now I see what I've been missing. My tastes in reading material shift back and forth. I used to love mysteries, and the passion is returning.

    That bookstore in Portland looks like a wonderful place to spend a few hours or days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. London is such a good setting for novels. I can see why you like this mystery series. Nice to get 2 reviews in one post – it sounds like a helpful manual. What a great endorsement – to buy a book you borrowed from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nothing better than a good book to make a plane ride pass by. I love used book stores almost as much as plant stores. Awesome find!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love mysteries! I'll be adding this to my towering TBR pile. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have read some of her novels in the past, maybe it is time to become reacquainted with her. You certainly make this latest one sound very appealing, Rose.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do like an Elizabeth George mystery! And thank you for TWO reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting MY book review. Here's one to add to my list!
    You ask, '(Why am I always drawn to these less-than-perfect appearing heroines??' because they are real women, not REAL WOMEN!
    Because we're tired of reading about fake women who are size 2, drop dead gorgeous, juggling, no, perfecting the craft of heading a large corporation and their family of 6!
    Not that size 2 is bad, but that's neer in my stars!
    cheers from cottage country!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for reviewing these. I will add them to my library list. ( yes, I am frugal.)
    I need to go finish Harry potter...I am on #5 now. My kids have begged me to read it for years and I am finally getting around to it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the Ondra/Cohen book Rose. The Lawn Man bought it for me a couple of years ago. It's a good one to have as a reference, or just to go through and enjoy all the eye candy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the link love!! I'm so glad you liked Cohen & Ondra's book. It's a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you don't mind I skimmed the EG book~I want to read that one without and don't want to know anything! But, I did read the entire review of the Design Primer! I love great garden books and one with Nan's photos has to be good! gail

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both books sound great! I'm about 1/3 of the way through The Shadow of the Wind, by Zafon. Must...take...break...from Botanical.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love a good mystery, thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. The perennial design book sounds like a keeper; I will have to check that one out! I love Nan's designs and photos.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love that book...Nan Ondra is a truly gifted designer...a real inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Rose, I would think the gardening book would be very inspiring - Nan's blog certainly is! :-)

    Are you ready for Spring weather??

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Rose, Just wanted to let you know I started the Zookeepers Wife. I got about half-way thru and gave it up. I wanted to enjoy the book but I had a hard time with the writing style. Maybe I'll give it another whirl when I'm not so busy.

    Hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Powell's books! Isn't it fun to poke around in that store??

    Say, I brought some goodies back from Italy and I'd love to send you a little something. Can you please email me here with a snail mail address: kate.miller57@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jenn, I agree--I find REAL women characters much more appealing than some drop-dead gorgeous protagonist.

    Susie, Don't feel bad--"The Zookeeper's Wife" isn't for everyone. It took me awhile to finish it; I think it's very well-written, but not something you can read for hours on end.

    Kate, I had fun just browsing in Powell's. Welcome back!

    Thanks to all for the comments; it's been another busy few days. Like many of you, I'm a fan of Nan Ondra's books.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The television series was rather disappointing. Havers in particular comes over as a bit of drip. I haven't read any of the books though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good stuff, Rose, and thanks for the reviews. Not much of a mystery buff, have never read anything by Elizabeth George but this looks intriguing. And one can never have enough gardening resources!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. I love to hear from you, so please leave a comment. I'll try to reply here, but I'll definitely return the visit.